Animal life at Vidyagram
ANIMAL LIFE (IN & OUT) AT VIDYAGRAM
Desert Climate environmental feature of this locality allows small grasses, Shrubs and Comparatively a large number of xerophytic trees, which all together, don’t provide a conducive atmosphere to the herbivorous and carnivorous mammal to thrive in full form.
Of course, over a span of five or more decades back, Bahal and it’s vicinity had a rich variety of fauna, wild mammals such as wolf, Jackal Hyena, Black buck, chinkara etc were found in large size. However, these animals have now completely disappeared.
Definitely, climatic variability and unsustainable human activities are the main factors behind this catastrophe.
Animals reared by the people, having agrarian back ground and animal husbandry profession including mammals of wilderness of this region have been documented and enlisted by the Natural History Society of BRCM Vidyagram.
They are as follows :
- Mammals as live : Cow, Buffallow, Sheep, Goat, Camel, Horse, Poney and Donkey
- Canine Pets : Dog and Cat
- Avian Pets: Cock, Duck, Grey Patridge, Quail , White Pigeon, Pied Pigeon, Parrot and Myna.
- Wild Mammals : Desert fox, Desert Cat, Common Mongoose, Desert Small Mongoose , Badger, Hedge Hog, Porcupine , Hare , Greate fruit bat, Indian small bat , Neel Gai and Ape.
- Reptiles : Cobra , Russel’s Viper, Sand Krait , Saw Sealed Viper, House lizard, Wood Lizard, Bush Gecko, Monitor lizard and chameleon
- Rodents: House rat, Indian gerbille , Field mouse , Longtail tree mouse, Musk rat and Squirrel.
- Amphibians : Frog (in four species), Pond Turtle.